fot

Re: Fw: Use of Compressed Air in PVC - ASTM

To: billsohl@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Fw: Use of Compressed Air in PVC - ASTM
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:01:06 EST
== fot at autox.team.net supported in part by Fat Chance Garage
==    http://fatchancegarage.com

Bill

    As a former chairman of one of ASTM's subcommittees developing test
procedures, I can attest that one needs to consult the test methods to
determine
whether the psi measurement being cited is applicable to this specific
situation. One typically finds alot of caveats are needed with every test
procedure
because its difficult to develop one test applicable to all situations.

    If the manufacturer has such strong statements regarding the use of PVC,
it would be my expectation that the PSI measurements cited were done for a
testing method developed for use with liquids rather than a compressed gas
and/or
that there are further stipulations as to under what conditions the test
results are applicable.

    The bottomline is that if the manufacturer is saying don't use it for
compressed gas, then don't. No manufacturer is going to tell customers not to
use
a their product unless there is a significant risk.

Cary