fot

RE: Cams and followers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Cams and followers
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 16:24:36 -0800
There have been a startling number of ways that engine manufacturers choose
to accomplish the feat of setting valve clearance. With some there are
different bucket thickness, and the option to use a centerless grinder to
set clearance. There are engines with shims on the cam side of the follower,
just waiting for a little tightness in the guide for the cam to wipe them of
and fling them someplace catastrophic. And of course those with the shims on
the inside of the follower where the smallest bit of grit can cock the shim
and cause the clearance to loosen dramatically once the vehicle gets two
hundred miles into the desert. Some nights when I've had a little too much
port I awaken at three in the morning in a cold sweat dream that I'm being
forced to set valve clearance in a long row of bevel drive desmodromic
ducatis with marginal valve guides. No way you can get back to sleep after
that--might as well go back to drinking port.