fot

RE: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hallett Shootout - Car Classification - Clarification
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:15:48 -0800
Allow me to translate--I speak innuendo with a delightful dissimulation
accent.

Last year I helped get the Columbia River Classic stepped up a notch, and
one of the notches I really wanted to step was getting lots of cars to come.
I didn't want anybody to be prevented from coming, and certainly didn't want
anyone turned away at tech after a tow of more than a few yards. I tried to
get the club to give a one time waiver to cars that didn't meet the SOVERN
rules.

No go.

I wiggled and wobbled and pushed and the guys running competition finally
said (I'm paraphrasing) "look stupid, we've never turned anyone away from a
race. If they show up with an illegal car we'll give them a list of all the
stuff that's wrong and we'll work with them over the next few races to get
their car into compliance at some future date. But no, we're not going to
give them waivers, we'll just let them race."

Oh. Says I.

Now certainly if I towed Peyote to Hallet and they said I couldn't run
because my shift knob isn't stock, I'd be a little grumpy.  I suggest you
get the powers that be to make a similar statement. That what they are
interested in is future compliance and bringing cars in the right direction,
not keeping them off the track.