fot

Re: Testing Lifters?

To: Rikrock@aol.com, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Testing Lifters?
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 08:33:01 -0600
At 10:07 PM 1/4/2006, Rikrock@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 1/2/06 9:51:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, Rikrock@aol.com
>writes:
>Seems to me the test will leave a dimple that must be polished out
>before the lifter can be used.  I would prefer to test the base of the
>lifter,
>but the idea of polishing out the dimple on the base makes me very nervous.
>
>So, exactly how do the pros do it?  And what numbers/results should I be
>looking for?
I find it easy to polish off the edges of the resulting Rockwell
testing dimple using a stone like you use to sharpen a knife. You can
eliminate the little dimple edges without much damage to the
surrounding area and completely refinishing the face of the lifter is
not necessary.

I've also never had a failure problem with any lifter hardness above
53, but the harder the better.