fot

RE: Optional bits for TR6

To: "'Sean Green'" <sean.green@seawestproducts.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Optional bits for TR6
From: "Mike Munson" <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 23:56:06 -0500
Sean,

Years ago I ran several tr6s in DSP in pro solo, divisional and regionals.
I was told by a safety inspector to remove the bow because it could be
dangerous in case the car rolled over. I never ran one again. At that time
in SP it was legal to remove the top and bow.

BTW. I ran some solos with the hard top installed and found that it
stiffened the chassis and made it handle better.

Mike

First time caller, long time listener...

Can anyone tell me if the TR6 was ever sold (from the dealer) without
the soft top and only the hard top? I ask this question because I race
my car under SCCA autocross rules (Solo 2, F Street Prepared) and would
like to know if I can remove all of the soft top parts if I have the
factory hard top (which I do) even if I don't have said hardtop on the
car during competition. There is a club sport version of the Miata
(sorry to those with delicate sensibilities, I know I shouldn't mention
that name here) that was available with only the hard top and that
allows all Miata (sorry again!) drivers to remove their soft tops per
the Street Prepared "update/backdate" clause. If there was a similar
option for the TR6, does anyone know of any actual documentation
available that could prove this? I've never been protested in impound
and would like to be able to back up any modification/removal of items
on the car.

Mostly I'm curious about this because I'd rather spend the money on
making my car faster, than having to cough up a couple of hundred
dollars to replace all of the bows and mechanical bits associated with
my broken soft top. I don't even know if there are replacement parts for
my top.

Thanks!

Sean Green
'71 Triumph TR6