fot

Re: Southwick Axle Assembly

To: N197TR4@cs.com, WEmery7451@aol.com, FOT@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Southwick Axle Assembly
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:44:49 -0600
>>Message from Walt Emery:

>>Does Southwick now make a direct bolt in TR-4 axle, without any
>>modifications or jury rigging of Jap parts?  I finally broke my
>>first axle.  It was a very clean break at the beginning of the
>>splines, where it sheared off.  It didn't break at the most common
>>location, which gives you a ride off of the track and maybe over a few times.

If you already have a Southwick conversion, or if you know the story,
you can delete this message now. You may be interested to know,
however, that Southwick has had to increase the price of the
conversion to $850 - not cheap, but worth it when you consider the
alternatives.

Southwick makes the conversion that so many of us have installed in
our cars. He has done more than 60 of them over about a five year
period and there has not been one failure. Below is a description of
this conversion that I wrote for an international customer. Southwick
is not on the internet so I handle the communicating stuff for him
and provide whatever is of help in the process. It's good
entertainment and hopefully contributes to the good of the sport.

>There are some photographs of the conversion on Tony's website --
>www.tonydrews.com

The converted axle has the present spring mounting pads, uses the
same universal joint hookup, uses your current diff or limited slip,
and has the correct bolt hole pattern for the TR brakes, with the
customer's choice of stud diameter and length.

>The conversion process goes like this:
>
>Remove the complete axle from the car
>Remove axle shafts
>Remove carrier and ring gear - put the bearing caps back in and bolt
>them down - original position!
>Send the axle housing AND THE BACKING PLATES to Southwick (you can
>leave the pinion in if you want to)
>Give Southwick this information: TR3 or TR4, length of studs you
>want in the axle, and mark the baking plates L or R and which side
>is the bottom.
>

>They will cut the ends off of the axle housing and weld new ones on it
>They will re-drill the backing plates for the new hole pattern in
>the ends of the axle

>You will receive back --
>
>your converted axle housing
>your re-drilled backing plates
>two new forged axles - the axle and hub are all one piece
>the axles have the necessary bearings and sealing ring on them
>a C-clip retainer
>all mounting bolts
>
>You put your center section back in the axle - the Southwick
>conversion works with any differential carrier that has splines for
>the Triumph axles.

Besides eliminating the axle breakage and potential rollover
situation, the conversion eliminates the possibility of a broken hub,
eliminates the leaky rear seal, you never again have to try to
separate the hub from the axle, and you never again have to shim the
backing plates.

The new axles and axle housing ends are used on circle track and drag
cars and you know how many hp they produce, so they easily withstand
the hp and torque of our TR engines.

Southwick charges $850 for the conversion - they do not take credit
cards or PayPal, so send a check or make a bank transfer. Call them
first and tell them that you are sending it. Their phone number is
309-949-2868. Ask for Bob Southwick or Robert Southwick - father and
son. This is a small shop and they are not always at the phone so if
you do not get an immediate answer call again.

contact info -

Southwick Machine and Design
21300 Briar Bluff Road
Colona IL 61241-0578