fot

Nice ride

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Nice ride
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:32:13 -0700
Today was interesting, and interesting in a good way.  You may recall from
a message a couple weeks back I am part of the road events committee for the
inaugaral Utah Fast Pass event coming up this summer.  Today the HMFIC [1]
of the committee and I ( that's the entire committee so far ) worked on
route notes and such for the first leg of the three day course and the
autocross site in Duchesne [ pronounced dew - shane ]

Beautiful winter day, clear and cold.  Well, clear once you got out of the
smog in the Salt Lake valley.  I had been worried I was going to have to pull
a miracle out of my, uh, hat and run an autocross on some parking lot that
wouldn't be big enough to serve a two bit convenience store, but we ended up
with a site that should be acceptable.  It ain't nationals, just 20 - 30
seconds or  so of squealing the tires in front of a few locals and then
back on the road.

The impressive part, though, was the car.  We took Rich's Jag, a 1983 XJS V12.
What a cruiser.  Big, fat and heavy, so much different than any of my Spit
racers.  I want one.  Smooth and effortless, just kind of chewing up and
spitting out miles of two lane Utah mountain roads.  We did this one section
of a road unfamiliar to me, a nice, not too twisty stretch up Indian Fork
Canyon.  At one point Rich simply says "buck and a quarter"  I would have
sworn we were just bopping along at a mere 60 - 70 mph cradled in comfort.
Sweet.  We did a 46.7 mile stretch up through the mountains in 30 minutes.
Someday I'll have to grind through the math to figure out what the average
MPH might have been.

Yep, a Jag V12 is a nice ride.

mjb.

1.  HMFIC - Head, uh, motorsports fanatic in charge