fot

Spitfire side air vents

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire side air vents
From: claus@triumphracing.net
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 16:05:23 +0100 (CET)
Hello list.

Due to our regulations I must change my glassfibre bonnet to an original
steel-type. It's OK to put side vents in it though, and I know the works
did it back then, apparantly for better under-bonnet temperaturs. But I'd
rather not.

Then Russ Moore was kind enough to send some photos of his Spitfire, and I
noticed that he doesn't have vents in. After checking the Spitfire gallery
on the fot-site it seems that most of the American Spitfires do without
the vents.

Now my questions is: Are you running some trick radiators, ducting or
other stuff under your bonnets in order to race without vents, or are the
vents just not necessary?

Best regards

Claus Ebberfeld
Aarhus, Denmark