fot

Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets
From: "john price" <jprice1@txcyber.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 09:19:18 -0600 (CST)
I was asking the question because my helmets are both SA 2000. I find it
interesting that a 10-year old helmet is "possibly compromised" because of
age or involvement in an accident. I am managing several research projects
for helicopter rotor blades of composite construction. Some of these blades
are almost 15 years old and haven't reached their fatigue life yet and are
considered safe to fly. We are even patching bullet holes and putting them
back on the aircraft. At $250 to $400 bucks a pop for a helmet, I would
like to see the science behind  a decision to disallow a helmet because of
its age.