fot

Re: [FOT] TR3 Oil Filter by-pass

To: jaboruch@netzero.net, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] TR3 Oil Filter by-pass
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:11:43 EST
In a message dated 3/19/06 5:34:03 PM Pacific Standard Time,
jaboruch@netzero.net writes:

<< In a race car where the oil filter is changed fairly frequently is the
by-pass even needed?  If that much stuff clogs the filter I would have big
enough
problems as it was, before the reduced flow thru the filter was an issue.  I
guess the other alternative if a by-pass is needed would be to use an oil
filter with a built in by-pass.

I at one time blocked off the cold oil bypass by threading the hole and
installing a 1/8" pipe plug, due to a Ken Galander's article.  I now have
copied
Greg Solow's system:

    -Use the stock filter head and cartridge filter.
    -Install Greg's sandwich plate between the filter head and block.
    -Two oil cooler lines come off of the back of the sandwich.
    -Greg shims his cold oil bypass valve spring, with the hope that the
valve will open just before the oil filter collapses.

I shim this valve, but not as much as Greg.  My machinist feels that it is
somewhat important to maintain the cold oil bypass feature in some form.  I
also
managed to run the accusump line into the center oil galley port, with the
hope that a better oil supply to the No. 2 and No. 3 rod bearings will be
available.

The above may not apply to your oiling system, since it is different from
mine.