fot

[FOT] roll bar-powder

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] roll bar-powder
From: REK46@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:51:10 EST
Bob...I'll give yu a few of my experience type comments off-list(so as not to
start a row on-line)...I've raced for 30 yrs and the roll cage does take a
beating from gettin in an out,crew work, track debris,scratches from your own
climbing in an out,tools bumping it,etc etc....and its best to have an easily
'touched-up' cage with a easy to match paint without primers.....From a tech
standpoint(which I do part-time also)...tech guys like to be able to see the
welds and weld quality....I've seen plenty of welds that were back filled with
body putty to'look' good but were covering poor welding jobs--not
safe...sooo,after awhile I just went to a low-gloss black with off the shelf
spray cans and
applied without primer,thin coat....very easy to retouch if you stock a few
cans in inventory as sometimes manuf chg or arn t available.....However,if your
car is more for show than serious race,go ahead.....it'll be expensive and hard
to match but if you take meticulous care of it,there should not be a
prob...rick