fot

RE: [FOT] AN Plumbing Question

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] AN Plumbing Question
From: "Jason Sukey" <jsukey@eng.utoledo.edu>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 19:21:28 -0500
Bob,
        Not sure what tilton MC's you are using, I have experience using the
75 series (short body, maybe another alternative to get more clearance....),
I assume that others are similar.  The outlet ports should be an AN-3 port
(3/8"-24 straight thread), so you need the fitting bottomed on the conical
seat for your seal, spacing the union out with a washer will prevent the
fitting from sealing.  As far as alignment when tightened down, other than
mixing and matching to find a combination that lines up where you want, I
dont' know.  I wouldn't worry about problems from using steel fittings in
the aluminum MC though; all of the brand new Tilton MC's I've purchased came
with steel AN-3 fittings.  If you still want to go to an aluminum fitting,
an Aeroquip FBM2186 or FCM2186 should be what you are looking for (unless
I'm way off base here, if so, stop reading :-P  ), a quick search at Summing
Racing shows them in stock, but I'm not sure about other suppliers.  Eaton
Aeroquip does have their catalog online in PDF format at
http://www.aeroquip.com/pages/lit.html
That may prove to be a somewhat helpful resource.  I also think that Carroll
Smith went over plumbing in "Nuts, Bolts and Fasteners".

Hope that helps....

Jason Sukey