fot

[FOT] My Speedster experience

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] My Speedster experience
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 09:12:20 -0400
The Speedster is not the tire that will be the equalizer we are looking
for. I still think the TR's are under-tired compared to the cars we race
with that run 14 inch wheels. But, I think it is a good, cost effective
alternative to the TD's, assuming it holds up better. I need to run
another event on this set of tires to draw a conclusion there.

Comparing lap times at VIR at VDCA's Wild Hare event, ran last year and
this past weekend. Both last year and this year the car was running
strong. Comparing the lap times between the two events has one spoiler
that pretty much invalidates the things, and it is something I can't
quantify. Last summer I made some suspension changes that have made a
big difference.

So, that said, last year's best was mid-2:26's, this year I ran a
2:23.3.

My initial impressions were the tire felt slower. I did start out with
too low of a tire pressure, but did bump things up a bit and found
things started working well. The sessions that I felt were slow were as
fast as I have ever run at VIR. I did some tire temp testing and zeroed
in on what pressures were working well, and came to the conclusion the
tires didn't seem as fast because I was not doing the Vintage TD slide.
I felt I was much more in control. Best example of that is the top of
the esses, where I was never able to do it flat out with the TD's, it
felt fine with the Speedsters.

The tires did not seem to wear badly at all, but VIR is known as being
very easy on tires. Also, I never got a great look at the tread because
of all that blasted gravel Harvey put down in the paddock. I will have
the car up on the lift soon and post some pictures of what the tires
look like after over 80 laps at speed at VIR.

I ran the 205/60R15's. Fit with no issues on my TR4.

I know Ceaser Cone, who is lightning fast in his Alfa Duetto, was trying
a set and was hating them. I usually never see him after the first lap
during a race, but I had his yellow spider in sight most of the feature.
Probably a combination of me being faster and him being slower, but I'm
not sure. Somebody should get his comments after he ran all his sessions
to see if he figured things out with them.

What I liked about them:

They seemed to drive more predictably than the Vintage TD. Didn't
experience the "grip fine until they break loose" that radials used to
be known for. They slid beautifully.

Once I got my pressures figured out, they did not go away mid-race.

They are $41 a tire cheaper than the Vintage TD.

What I didn't like about them:

They have a smaller diameter than the Vintage TD. They really messed
with my gearing. I was almost at terminal velocity coming up the back
straight at VIR. I think if this is the tire I will run I have to give
serious consideration to either putting an OD back in the car or
changing to a 3.7 rear end gear.

My summary of initial thoughts are the tire is probably at least as fast
as the Vintage TD. The 205/60's put an additional inch of rubber on the
road compared to the 5.5X15, so that obviously helps. Until I get the
tires off the car and brush off the gravel, I can't draw any conclusion
about tread wear. They looked to be wearing good the few times I brushed
the gravel off in the paddock and really looked hard at the tires. I
have 9 heat cycles in this set, one of them an enduro. I will continue
to count the heat cycles, as I have a feeling the tire is going to run
out of grip before it runs out of tread.

Anybody else run the Speedster yet? Care to share your thoughts???

Henry Frye
Triumph Technology Consultants
860.653.3118 (o) - 860.508.3118 (m)