fot

Re: [FOT] Grills for "Works" style TR4s on Ebay

To: gp89@charter.net, jmwagner@greenheart.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] Grills for "Works" style TR4s on Ebay
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 19:58:03 EDT
In a message dated 5/7/2006 5:07:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gp89@charter.net writes:

I  purcheced a pile of Spitfire  race parts years ago and there was a  grill
I was told was a works grill. It is very different from a Mk 1  grill. There
are five horizontal tubes making up a one piece grill. Can anyone  verify this
or is it just aftermarket stuff.
Jeff  Senty

That is a special grille listed by the Competition Department. It had a V-
part number and I believe they were made by AMCO, the luggage rack people.

If you look at page 2 in the Spitfire Competition Preparation manual you
will see these grilles. The Mk I Spit had a close weave mesh and Kastner
believed that more air needed to get in.

Remember, you had to run the unmodified stock grille. You couldn't cut
pieces out like a lot of Vintage Racers do.

The end run was for an alternate grille to be sold as a Competition Part  and
Kas made arrangements for that.

I had one but it went with my race car in 1970. I have never seen one  since.

BTW, the Mk 2 Spits came with a better grille and the V-grille was no  longer
needed.

Jack Woehrle