fot

Re: [FOT] Fuel Cell useful life

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] Fuel Cell useful life
From: DennisR380@aol.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 14:43:21 EDT
Most recognized sanctioning bodies mandate five years as the acceptable life
span for both rigid and soft fuel cell bladders. I can't speak for the various
vintage groups. Any techs want to chime in out there? I doubt you'd get
thrown out of a weekend for an out of date cell, but I for one err on the side
of
safety. The molded plastic box used in rigid bladders are especially prone to
turning brittle from prolonged contact with racing fuels and normal aging
dynamics. Under the impact of a crash, old bladders may crack open instead of
deforming without penetration. Regarding the product that Summit sells, are
they
designed for road racing and FIA approved? Aren't FIA approved cells mandatory
these days in most groups. Anyway, why would you want to pinch pennies on such
an important safety component? Stick with Fuel Safe or ATL...they wrote the
book.

Dennis