fot

Re: [FOT] Speedster tires

To: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Speedster tires
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:18:41 -0700
I'd need to do a test head to head to really get a clear idea, but
the seat of my pants tells me that the Speedsters are faster than the
TDs on Peyote (which kind of answers one of your questions--I've used
TDs a lot on Peyote and like them very much for the lurid slides you
can do and not so much for the lap times).

I would have had the opportunity to test a somewhat tired set of TDs
VS the speedster if I had done the test and tune--I had TDs on the
same wheels I mounted the Speedsters on. My plan was to set up the
suspension for TDs (about 0.5 degrees of camber) and do ten laps
using a GPS-based data recorder. Then swap on the speedsters, do a
baseline with 0.5 degrees camber and take tire temps, then set camber
to 2.5 degrees and do a second baseline, then play with tire pressure
until I got readings I liked, then do camber. Then compare all the data.

The GPS data recorder system I was going to borrow allows you to
overlay laps and compare segments. I figured I'd get a lot of
learning from this. Unfortunately some people decided that since my
business card still says CEO that I should attend a board meeting.
Thoughtless of them I think.

I didn't see my lap times on Sunday, but I was at least a second
slower than Cameron in the Pooper who was running 1:29 to 1:30. When
all the stars align I run 1:29 to 1:30 with the old chicane at PIR.
With the new cichane I'd expect to be a little faster. So no, I
really didn't get what I expected.

It is my first event with the new nose. I really do think I'm pushing
more air with it and I need to fix that, but I don't know that it
would really affect my lap times.