fot

Re: [FOT] Pictures posted of cracked Speedster

To: Henry Frye <henry@henryfrye.com>
Subject: Re: [FOT] Pictures posted of cracked Speedster
From: Bill Babcock <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 20:54:32 -0700
So here's a question to all, and especially Kas, Hardy, and the other
techical wizards--what's with tire pressure?

I've spent a fair amount of time fiddling around with tires and I
always wind up with a lot lower pressures than anyone I hear about.
Not just on Peyote. And certainly not because I'm personally so much
lighter.

I rely on tire temperatures to set pressure. But when I see the kind
of pressures other folks come up with--and not just in the FOT, I
have to wonder what the heck is going on. For instance, Hoosier is
talking about 30 to 40 pounds for their radials. I read 150 degrees
in the center and 120 on the edges at just 20 pounds cold (about 24
hot). I don't have any of that edge wear that denotes underinflation.
I'm running 2.5 degrees of camber in the front, but my rears (solid
axle) are reading the same way--30 degrees hotter in the middle.

So I gotta ask, what are you guys experiencing that's making you run
higher pressures? I'm starting to doubt myself a bit.