fot

[FOT] SCCA Race Report St. Louis

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] SCCA Race Report St. Louis
From: <fpspitfire@insightbb.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 09:27:01 -0500
I'm still not sure what to think of this race weekend.
Starting off.  I didn't get home until 4:00 on friday from Canada.  Then
loaded up the car and stuff to head off to St. Louis which is only about 3
hours from my house (with the trailer).  I start to unload the car and realise
I forgot the airdam in the garage.  So, since there was only practise on
saturday morning, I was making the trip home to pick it up.

Qualifying -
It went well, I just went out to get a few laps shake the car down and figure
out which way to turn.  Qualified 2nd in class and 20th overall.

Race -
It started out bad...The first start was waved off and then I got hit 3 times
on the official start on lap 2, once in the left rear, 2nd time in the left
front (as I started the spin) and once again in the left rear to finish the
deal off.  Not bad, just a quick run throught he pits to get the air dam (yes
what I'd just driven 5 hours to get) pulled out and check for major damage.
It wasn't too bad so out I went.  This essentially killed 2 laps as I got held
at pit out as the faster classes went by.  I'm not sure whether I was a full
lap down in my class or not, but I figured, throw some good laps together and
see how it shakes out.  Lap 10 I get the 3rd place guy (I got by 4th in the
pits, car that hit me on the start).  Then at lap 13 I got the 2nd place guy.
I figured there was no way I was going to catch the 1st place guy so I motored
around.  By lap 20 or so, the tyres were junk.  There was one corner where it
didn't matter how slow you went it wouldn't turn.  and on lap 20 I spun going
onto the front stretch.  All was well until one guy decided to go inside me,
he smashed up against my right rear and did quite a bit of damage.  the car
still drives well, but it's a demon to look at at.
I didn't lose 2nd place so I was relatively happ, but it looks like $2000 to
fix the car.  But hey...I won a tyre for the 2nd place finish!!!

Aaron Johnson
#87 HP Spitfire 1500
Southern Illinois Region SCCA