fot

[FOT] Notes from Monterey & PB

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] Notes from Monterey & PB
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 12:31:24 EDT
Amici

    There seemed to be a lot of different cars invited  to Monterey this
year. There seemed to be significantly fewer high  profile racecars (Cobras,
Ferraris, GT40s) etc than any year since I  started going there in the 1980's
(not
to mention Bill Babcock's Peyote !).  It was nice to see the different race
cars. I wonder if this is a one-time  situation or a change in the overall
direction.

    It was also curious that they accepted a replica of  factory Triumph TR3
(TR 250?) into this year's field. A very nice car with good  presentation, but
the Monterey race has gained its image from fielding  original cars. I would
be personally disappointed if becomes the norm to accept  replicas, no matter
how nice, when charging over $40 per day for admission.

    The big plus this year was Toyota replacing  Chrysler as the sponsor. The
Toyota people were wonderful about  hospitality .........free ear plugs,
drinking water, bags, posters, etc., and a  free shuttle to the general
parking.
It is somewhat ironic that Mazda who is the  main sponsor of the racetrack and
Toyota who has very few cars eligible for the  field have come to the
forefront in sponsorship for this event.

    Pebble Beach was once again a great show. As Bill  points out, the $150
admission plus parking $$$ has helped clear up the  congestion. They now have
buses from even the free parking areas. My three kids  were free, so that was a
plus too. Plus, my favorite celebrity, Jay  Leno acknowledged the three of
them with a personal hello (after  which they asked who he was :) .

    And to make a great weekend even better, Carmel  through LA to San Diego
in 7.5 hours with kids sleeping for 50% of the  time.

CP__