fot

RE: [FOT] A soggy Limerock Vintage Race day

To: "'FOT'" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] A soggy Limerock Vintage Race day
From: "R. John Lye" <rjl@gt-classics.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:56:06 -0400
Well, not Lime Rock, but Summit Point.  I had a very soggy
start to the weekend.  The practice day on Friday was so
wet that I didn't even bother to go out.  Both qualifying sessions
on Saturday were wet as well, and I was pretty much a moving
chicane in both sessions.  The car just had no stick at all.
It dried up Saturday afternoon, though, so the Sunday race
was dry.  Unfortunately, my race ended at turn one of the
second lap, when my left front tire contacted the right rear
tire of another car and launched me into the air.  The corner
workers told me that I performed three rolls in the air before
coming back down right side up - no marks on the roll bar
at all.  They added that if I had been able to stick the landing
a bit better, they would have awarded me a perfect "5", but
could only give me a "4.8" as it was.  Lots of fiberglass
damage, and the suspension on the left side is all gone, but
most of the expensive stuff looks OK.  I'm fine, all the safety
gear did its job.  I'm not even sore this morning.  I definitely
believe in the HANS device now, though.  I'd hoped to never
have to test it, but I'm sure glad that I had it on now.

Stay safe,

R. John Lye

rjl6n@cstone.net