fot

[FOT] TR3/TR4 Cylinder Liners-Remanufacturing

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [FOT] TR3/TR4 Cylinder Liners-Remanufacturing
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:22:52 EDT
FOT,

In an earlier life, I spent a lot of time in "Department 62". This was wet
sleeve cylinder liner machining for tractor engines. It certainly doesnt make
me
an expert, but I have a fascination with cylinder liners that carries over
from this experience, to our Triumphs.

I have been playing around with "reman" liners for a couple of years...in
short segments of time, usually during the winter months.

I have used nothing but remanufactured liners....however, to get what I want
and in the quality perceived, it takes a great deal of time to get the desired
results. Then you unclamp the part and put it the engine and now how does it
change?

This is using a good cylinder block and a torque plate for machining and
honing.

What is the next step?  We are meeting with a tool and die shop to develop a
HOLDING FIXTURE that will do the same things as a OEM cylinder liner
manufacturer.

I have access to some very sophisticated processes on the manufacturing side
and engine engineers, not more than 15 minutes away.

If we are successful at developing the manufacturing processes needed we
might be able to provide liners to street and regular Vintage Racing folks, and
do
it at reasonable prices.

Sidebar: We are getting some indications, in machining characteristics, that
the OEM materials may be superior to current spun castings that come from
various sources.

Just thought I would share this....and solict any further insights anyone
might have.

This list could use a little more technical discussion. It has been a little
quiet in that area.

>From the Field of Dreams,

Joe A