fot

[FOT] HS6 setup

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] HS6 setup
From: "Kramer, Robert" <RKramer@rdoequipment.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:02:11 -0500
I finally got my TR4A out to the track this weekend after a long, long
restoration. It looks great and most everything worked to perfection. I
really liked the Detroit Locker coming from my previous welded diff. On
my old TR4 and TR3A I ran H6 SU's but this is my first time using HS6's.
Since it was the first weekend I spent a lot of time sorting out silly
stuff. For example I was having difficulty getting it to turn over so we
swapped starters. It turned out that my 3 year old Optima was the
problem so I wasted a lot of time when all I needed was to spend some
more money! Anyhow the inaugural weekend was successful except for a
persistent high rpm miss that I think is a leaning out condition. It
runs great only up to around 4,000 rpm and then starts to gasp. Since I
finished the car just this past week I didn't spend enough time
researching a good HS6 setup in advance and my garage float level
adjustments were way off. I raised the levels at the track. I started
out with the SW needles level with the bottom of the pistons and I
played with the jet levels to no avail. I pushed the needles up all the
way and it loaded up so much that I didn't even go on track that way.
For the last session I went with just slightly pushing the needles up in
the bore. Since I'm so far off from the mark I thought it might be best
to poll the list and see what needles others are using and any other
tricks that might speed up my sorting process. In other words, help
wanted!

Bob Kramer