fot

RE: [FOT] Dumb, Basic Question on Hood Openings - Placement &

To: <Group44TR7@aol.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Dumb, Basic Question on Hood Openings - Placement &
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 12:41:32 -0700
Generally if you see a rearward-facing scoop it's close to the
windshield, taking advantage of the high pressure area that's usually
there. One (possibly mythological) story is that the GT40 actually has a
negative pressure at the base of the windshield--lots of cars have
negative pressure at the top of the windshield. Forward facing scoops
look to ram air, either directly feeding the carb (problematic) or
feeding a cold air box. To see what it really takes to ram air for a car
engine look at the Pro Stock drag cars. A huge scoop, well above the
slowed flow on the hood. <Insert Kas' wisdom about ram air here>.
Actually ram air can be done successfully, I've seen it on lots of
motorcycles and motorcycle-powered race cars. But you need
computer-controlled engines to really make it work.

Louvers are certainly cool looking. The theoretical purpose is to
release heat from the engine bay, the real purpose is to look oh so very
racy in a period way. Hard to say what way to face them, they probably
won't act as mini-scoops to any real purpose--the boundary layer on your
hood is probably too thick and they get in each other's way. I love the
way they look. Someday Peyote will have a few somewhere.