fot

[FOT] Problems with Kill switch wiring

To: Friends <fot@autox.team.net>, Triumph <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Problems with Kill switch wiring
From: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 13:14:56 -0700
I have what I believe to be a pretty first rate kill switch for my race
car.  I think I followed the wiring directions, but now have an unacceptable
result -- the engine will not turn off.

I do not know the brand of switch. It has a metal handle and the switch body
is about 2" around.  There are 4 terminals -- two major posts and two
minor.  One major post is hooked to the battery and the alternator/main
electrical goes to the other.  A lead from the battery also goes to one of
the minor posts.  The field wire from the alternator goes to the other.
[This is a Bosch alternator for the Ford Fiesta.  It has connectors to it
like the stock triumph TR6.  I believe the field wire is the yellow/brown
wire that hooks to a terminal on the alternator labeled with a "+" sign.

I have a Longacre ignition/starter/two accessory switch panel.  This does
not seem to be wired correctly.  The ignition switch controls the starter
[when not on, the starter does not work].  However, it is also supposed to
switch the ignition system [in my case a Crane HiFire box] but it does not
turn it off.

When I first started the engine, the ignition switch would not shut the car
off, but the kill switch would.  I suspect this is because the field wire
had become disconnected at the alternator.  Once I hooked up that wire
yesterday, I started the car.  But neither the kill switch nor the ignition
switch would turn it off.[turning off the fuel pump worked -- I had it on
blocks and did not want to shift it into gear with the break on to kill it].

Anybody have any suggestions on how the switch should be wired.  I am a bit
suspicious of the two minor posts wiring.

I do have a wiring schematic I can share with anyone who response -- it is a
Power Point drawing.
--
Chuck Arnold