fot

[FOT] Airstream

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [FOT] Airstream
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:15:16 -0700
I'm down to the diddly stuff on the Airstream, one more cabinet door to
fabricate, need to hook up all the gas lines and test the appliances'
operation on gas, then do some road testing. Need to weld some stout
rollers on the end of the frame in case I boink it in a dip.

I've got a headache from sanding wood without a mask--I'll probably have
some tropical crap growing in my lungs. I've got some staining to
do--not much wood in this thing but I relented on my "all aluminum" oath
and did a little trim, the couch back and bottom (not the frame, that's
aluminum) and the under-couch storage drawer fronts in wood.

Like I said, some diddling, but it's generally done. I'll do some
pictures next week after I get it all cleaned up and the staining done.
It's pretty cool. Way too much work, but I think we're going to have a
lot of fun with this thing. Next year I plan to be in just about
everyone's neighborhood at some point, so you can drop by for a beer and
hang out in the dammed thing.

Now I can start on one of the zillion other stupid projects: Building a
"GS" style dirt bike from a basket case BMW R75/5; The Mescal project
(Ambro kit--Peyote's little brother); assembling a street TR3 that's
laying around the shop in kit form; doing something constructive with
the Cheater TR3; Getting my Norton back together; getting the Vincent my
wife bought me nine years ago for my 50th birthday back into running
order; Doing something with the Goldstars I bought cheaply ten years
ago, building a pit bike with a sidehack out of a 1962 Honda 150 dream;
doing something with the Matchless G80CS I've owned for 35 years and
with the R50/5 BMW I've owned since 1972 and maybe fixing up my 1976
Yamaha 360 MX that I've had since it was new and taking up vintage
motocross. That ought to get my few remaining undamaged appendages into
line with the rest of this trashed and thrashed old body.

Oh, yeah, and I really need to clean up this friggin' shop. I feel
overwhelmed and tired just looking at this list. I think I'll go read a
book and drink a beer.

Incidentally, I found out why Raphael Sabatini was such a popular writer
back in the twenties. I'm reading "Captain Blood". Good stuff.