fot

Re: [FOT] RE: No TR content [was Herman & Helena Van Den Akker]

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com
Subject: Re: [FOT] RE: No TR content [was Herman & Helena Van Den Akker]
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 12:11:49 -0400
Randall,

I hate it when my memory goes.  Old age, y'know.  But I (and history)
still stand by most of the statements I made:

During the 1975 fire season in Oz, the Cobar fire burnt 3.75M acres, the
Balranald
fire burnt over 0.85M acres and the Moolah-Corinya fire burnt over 2.8M
acres.  The
latter fire has a front of over 600 miles, and the firestorm edge was
clocked by a helicopter
as moving at 150 mph.  Oh, and the Moolah-Corinya started on Ash Wednesday
1975.  Oz had not yet adopted the US media style of "naming" news events.

All fires in that single 4 month fire season in Oz incinerated nearly
0.3 BILLION acres, or 15% of the total area of Oz.

The US has no idea of what real fires are like.

Shane Ingate, bad memory but not mistaken, in Maryland

Randall wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I think you're mistaken.

The name "Ash Wednesday" was coined in 1983, when almost 150 separate fires
broke out in Oz.  The fire threatening Herman & Helena's home has already
burned
half again the area of the largest of the Ash Wednesday fires, 160,000 acres
vs
105,000.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WILDFIRES
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22ash+wednesday%22+australia

The largest estimate I found for all the land burned in Oz that entire
summer
was only 1.3 million acres.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Wednesday_bushfires

Which is still a lot, but comparable to 2003 here in CA (approx 900,000
acres
burned).  And less than the 1.5 million acres burned in Yellowstone in 1988.
Not to mention Alaska 2004 when a single fire destroyed 1.3 million acres.
(Total wildfire damage in Alaska that season was over 6 million acres.)

I guess we must have global warming under control, since the largest
wildfires
in the US were over 100 years ago ... 3 million acres burned in Maine in
1825;
another 3 million in S. Carolina in 1898; 3.8 million in Wisconsin &
Michigan
1871; 2.5 million Michigan 1881; etc.
http://www.nifc.gov/stats/historicalstats.html