fot

RE: [FOT] Seat

To: <FOT@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [FOT] Seat
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 08:57:24 -0400
Ron,

A lot depends on your roll bar installation. If your rollover protection
is already installed in the car, you may find your options rather
limited.

Most roll bars in TR's I can remember looking at (including mine) pick
up the frame inside the cockpit in front of the rear wheel arch. That is
real estate my seat wanted to be in.

I use a Kirkey upright. In my case, a layback seat would move my feet
too close to the pedals. FWIW, I am 6'0" and have a good 60+ pounds on
you.

With the upright I sit high in my car. Probably too high. Then, my
fabricator sat me in the car and put a long pipe on the nose of the car
and held it over my head simulating where the ground would be when the
unmentionable happens. The result is the main hoop is really tall. Looks
kinda silly it's so tall. But, I would suggest everybody should do this
test to get an idea just how close the ground will be if you end up
shiny side down dangling from your belts. That 2" above the helmet
guideline is pretty meaningless if your head scrapes the ground, and an
upright seat puts your head waaay up there...

Cheers