fot

[Fot] Tyre Question...

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Tyre Question...
From: "Robert D. MacKenzie" <dodo@texas.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:08:35 -0600
Ok, 1st silly question for the group.

As some of you may remember, I have just acquired an older ('62)
Spitfire race car that I am in the process of restoring to 'race-ready'
condition.

My immediate objective is to have this car able to move under it's own
power.
(I have pretty low expectations and an achievable goal :-))

As of now I have several tasks to accomplish:

 - Re-install differential.  I found enough bits and pieces in the trunk
to assemble a serviceable differential
 - Bleed brakes & clutch cylinder.
 - Install new tyres.

It is the last one that I need some direction on:

The car came with a set of Bridgestone Potenza  205/515-13 slicks in
poor condition.

Bearing in mind that at this point I am looking for durability and
consistency over performance;  What tyres should I buy?

I plan to autocross the car in the spring but do not rule out a track
day or two; again I am not looking to compete as such but just want to
run the car and see what it can do and determine what needs attention in
the future.

I have a set of Hoosier R25A 20.0X9.5-13 slicks in very good condition
that were donated to me last week.  I would be more than willing to
trade (I will cover shipping both ways) if someone has a set of rubber I
could use and wants these.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Robert MacKenzie
62 Spitfire MK1 Race Car

San Antonio, Texas

Be warned - more questions to come.