fot

Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts

To: chris@tr4-racing.de, fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Plane & dragster motors: Deep thoughts
From: "John Herrera" <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 16:56:36 -0500
>An interesting one.
>Didn't know that one.
>It can switch off both engine parts seperatly to save fuel.
>
>  2.868 kW (3.845 HP)
>
>Let's say drawn....because the engine was never in use.

If we're including experimental engines here, how about the Lycoming sitting
down at Paul Garber (unless they moved it to Udvar-Hazy); four rows of nine
cylinders, liquid cooled. I disremenber the displacement, but I think it was
about 7000 cubic inches and 5000 HP. Meant for a plane that was never built.
It has contra-rotating splined propshafts. They said that when tested at the
Lyc plant on third shift, it woke up all of Williamsport!

John