fot

Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines

To: <Fubog1@aol.com>, <triosan@gmail.com>, <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Source needed for single-flare brake lines
From: "Bill Babcock" <BillB@bnj.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:53:48 -0800
I don't necessarily think the 45 degree double flare is the work of satan--it
functions just fine. But it takes a lot of practice and rejects to get it to
work well, and it's five times the effort of a single 37 degree flare (install
in die with just the right amount of tube extending past the edge, insert end
die and form bubble, find that the tube has slipped down, cut it off and try
again, get a nice bubble, squash it in, discover that you forgot to put the
nut on the second time, try to slide it all the way down the tube, give up on
that and cut off beautiful new flare, lather, rinse, repeat), especially with
the cute sliding block die setup that Aircraft Spruce sells with thier least
expensive tool (the one I use and like a lot). So why bother? Most people say
the 37 degree single flare is superior, I think they look very spiffy with the
818/819 bits, and they work perfectly every time. I've had a lot of 45 degree
double flares leak initially requiring additional tightening or rework. Never
once with a 37 degree single.