fot

[Fot] Re Calipers

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] Re Calipers
From: Guyots3@wmconnect.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:16:24 EST
In a message dated 1/12/2007 11:03:43 AM Pacific Standard Time,
fot-request@autox.team.net writes:

> Never have understood that business about not splitting the calipers, except
> that the o-rings were hard to get and sometimes too skinny. I've made them
> out
> of O-ring universal material (the kind where you glue the ends of neoprene or
> viton string together) and it's worked fine, nice to hear they are available
> though.

Probably because the bolts holding them together have specific torque
settings, above which they readily stretch.

The O-rings were, for many years at least, made of unobtainium, this may have
been a deliberate ploy by the manufacturers to force people to send them in
for rebuild.

But the real reason is probably to avoid customer bodging and subsequent
liability issues.

Regards

Leon

ps if 'they' are going to remanufacture the AP Racing 'small' 4-piston
caliper (CP2340), I for one would be pleased, as AP no longer service them or
supply
pads, I know this because I have to have mine re-faced through Ted
Schumacher, and would also like to have other sources of supply as well as Ted,
(who
gives excellent service btw).

<A
HREF="http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963";>http://community.webshots.com/user/vitesse1963</A>