fot

Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators and Electrolysis

To: John W <john@race-dogs.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Aluminum Radiators and Electrolysis
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:54:08 -1000
Actually the theory still holds true, there's just better ways of
doing things, and materials can be overcome by superior engineering
or design that optimizes the materials. Built the same way, a copper
radiator will transfer much more heat than an aluminum one, but it
will weigh a ton. so the designer specifies much thinner walls, and
that helps both the conduction and the weight, but it becomes as
fragile as aluminum. Or the designer chooses aluminum and designs for
better airflow and uses the fins to brace the tubes so they can be
thinner. It's all compromises my friends. Look at the stuff they use
in aerospace and dream. Heat exchangers with exotic metals, swirl
tubes, super high surface area inside the tubes created by micro
crimping the tubes to make fins. If we used those radiators in our
cars they would be dinky--the size of an oil cooler, but they'd cost
more than our car, and our house. they can't even afford them for F1.