fot

Re: [Fot] Testing an engine - oiling

To: "Bill Babcock" <billb@bnj.com>, "Mark J. Bradakis"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Testing an engine - oiling
From: "Scott Janzen" <S.Janzen@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:40:56 -0500
Prior to starting a newly rebuilt engine, I have been using a small
pressurized tank that my local machinist lends me to oil the engine.  It has
a valved flexible hose connection that I screw into one of the oil galleys.
The tank holds about two quarts of oil, and has a schrader valve so I can
pressurize the tank with air.  Open the valve, oil flows into the engine at
40-50 psi and either look at the oil pressure gauge or just wait for oil to
start seeping out of the valve train.  Great way to feel comfortable that
oil has made its way into all the galleys.  This tank is an antique, about
50 years old - I don't know if anyone still sells something like this.