fot

Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue

To: donlbrick@mchsi.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Overdrive issue
From: BillDentin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:34:47 EDT
In a message dated 04/03/2007 2:49:33 PM Central Daylight Time,
donlbrick@mchsi.com writes:

> Bill
> I did run an overdrive and I did blow one up at Grattan many years ago.  I
> do not know where I was but Bill Colom told me I should use Mobil l gear
> lube in the od,  I did this and ran the same unit until I sold the car for
> approx. 15 years.  It is available or was at Autozone.  I also have a spare
> od unit in my garage, it is not the same as the J type I ran in the race
> car, I believe it is called an Atype.  I might have these letters reversed
> as I never did decide which unit I used.  It is the unit with the electric
> solenoid mounted upright on the side
> Hope all this info helps.  The od worked great because it reduced the rpm
> between gears to about 500 instead of 1000.  I did not use 2d overdrive
> because Mike said the unit would be subjected to too much torque.
> Don

Don...

Via copy above, I have sent your comments to the FOT List for their info.

I was surprised to learn you used Mobil 1 gear lube, as per Mike Belfer I
always thought Kendall Three Star was the stuff to use in TRIUMPH transmissions.

When Mike Belfer was alive and prepping my car we had an A and a B engine.
One set up had an OD on the tranny.  He always cautioned me about NOT using OD
in 2nd gear as well, but just between us girls I did use it several times
coming out of FIVE at ROAD AMERICA, and it was awesome.

Bill