fot

Re: [Fot] Books and books on tape

To: "'Jack W. Drews'" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>, "'Bill Babcock'"
Subject: Re: [Fot] Books and books on tape
From: "Richard Taylor" <tarch@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 19:11:50 -0400
Finding and retrieving the P-38 "Glacier Girl" out of the Greenland Ice Cap

        Book:  "The Lost Squadron" by David Hayes. This covers the first 11
years of search and extraction of aircraft from
glacier (250' deep).

        History Channel Special: "The Hunt for the Lost Squadron." 70 min
DVD. This covers the full 22 years including
first flight.

Note: The P-38 is in Chino preparing to fly to England this summer to
complete the mission it started in 1942. I'm working on getting a friend's
B-17, to fly escort on the mission. If I can make this happen I might get
some serious B-17 left seat time. I've only flown a B-17 one time and I
gotta tell you, it makes a DC-3 feel like a Bonanza. As hard as I would try,
I could not get it to fly hands-off. Nor could my instructor. It is
distractingly loud and control responses  take a serious measure of
patience. I cannot imagine what it would be like @ gross @ 35,000 ft....with
bad guys in quick little Bf's using you for recommendations for Iron
Crosses.

Richard Taylor,