fot

[Fot] Books for the Itinerant Road Racer...

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Books for the Itinerant Road Racer...
From: "Joe Guinan" <joeg@neb.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 23:12:29 -0600
Here's my suggestions.
Joe Guinan
----------------------------------
Cars/Motorcycles? - "Zen and The Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance", by Robert
M. Pirsig - which is only about motorcycles on the surface.  It's also about
Philosophy, Rhetoric, a descent in to madness and climbing back out, and the
qualities of being "square".

History? - "The Orientalist" by Tom Reiss.  About a wealthy Jewish young man
born in Baku, Azerbaijan and covering the years leading up to WWII.  While
living in Germany, he escaped persecution and became a best selling author
by pretending to be a Muslim Prince.  Fairly quick read, and interesting
slice of history from that part of the world and that time period.

Sci/Fi - I always have to recommend Frank Herbert's stuff, and not the
"Dune" works.  "The Dosadi Experiment",  "Whipping Star", "The Jesus
Incident", and "Soul Catcher" are some I remember fondly.  I still pick up
some of Asimov's "I Robot" books on tape when I'm going on a long trip by
myself.  I learn something new every time I hear/read them.  One of my
favorites of all time - and one I try to get Sci/Fi newbies to read is
"Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card.  Short, fun, and somewhat of a mind
blower.  It made me read the entire Ender Saga and everything else he wrote,
but nothing ever recreated the feeling of reading "Ender's Game" for the
first time.

How about Frank McCourt?  "Angela's Ashes" was interesting.  "Tis" must have
been forgettable, as I have.  I enjoyed "Teacher Man" - probably because I
was one, once upon a time.

Right now I'm slowly savoring "The Soul Of A Tree: A Master Woodworkers
Reflections" by George Nakashima and "Nature Form & Spirit: The Life and
Legacy of George Nakashima" by his daughter Mira Nakashima.  George
Nakashima was a great woodworker, artist, and architect.  I can't afford his
furniture, but I go to the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum in Chanhassen every
couple of years just to see their collection of his stuff.  Well, plus they
have amazing displays of an amazing variety of plants, flowers, trees, and
shrubs.  Worth a visit if you are in the area.

I don't know if some of these are available in any digital format.  I
wouldn't recommend simply listening to the books on/by Nakashima, as you'll
want to see the photos and drawings.