fot

Re: [Fot] Speedster Tire Follow-up and Road America

To: BillDentin@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Fot] Speedster Tire Follow-up and Road America
From: Bill Babcock <billb@bnj.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 18:59:51 -0700
As to the question, I've never found a tire that didn't have
increasing amounts of understeer as they heat up, but an extreme
amount is a good indication that your tire pressure is too high. Once
again I'll tell you the only way to get a good tire pressure is a
skid pad and a pyrometer, but I'm running 17 cold on Peyote which is
1550 pounds. I pushed it up a little to 18.5 last weekend at Road
America because I thought I might get more speed in the straights,
and there's lots of straights at RA. I did indeed see higher temps in
the middle and a little more understeer. I outfoxed myself and stuck
my Hoosier DOT Radials on to try to beat the local hot shoe (Dave
Jahamiac (spelling)) but lost a little more than a second because of
the increased friction. Got to pay attention to the nature of the
track. going fast on a track with long straights is all about top
speed and corner exit, not maximum mid corner speed.

I feel a little stupid.

Still, I had a great time, learned the track well enough to touch
2.44.something (on Speedsters), beat the frickin' Porsches and Loti
in group four, finished first Triumph in Motrah and won my new
favorite watch. THANKS JOE--I really like it. I have a few watches
and never wear them but I've been wearing this one ever since I left
the track.

I'll do a writeup on the blog as soon as I have time. I need to get
to VIR ASAP. Peyote has a vibration at high speed that I don't like
(perhaps a driveshaft headed south) and a tire carcass got kicked
into my trailer at high speed today and it screwed up my waste water
drain lines. Got some wrenching to do before I catch a plane on
Thursday.

Bill Babcock
billb@bnj.com
bnj  Website for Babcock & Jenkins, a direct and interactive agency

You can subscribe to my Blogs
Via email:
All Aluminum Tour: Touring and racing classic North American tracks.
http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?Sub=168395
Ponohouse : Living and playing in Maui. http://www.feedblitz.com/f/?
Sub=168304

or Via RSS