fot

[Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 1 of 3

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 1 of 3
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:32:33 -0500
I thought the Motrah 007 event was an unqualified
success.  Between the organizers and SVRA, we had
4, count em, 4 extra sessions as a Motrah
entry.  One of them was the pursuit race that was
lightly filled due to the
weather.  Congratulations to Henry for the win in that one.

Over the winter, I ended up with an engine
rebuild and an OD rebuild.  I installed an
experimental camshaft designed by our own Larry
Young, and struggled to find a crankshaft that
was usable.  I ended up with a loaner from uncle
jack thats the former Keith Files Moldex.  The
Crower / Dunst crank will arrive
eventually  Larrys cam is designed with the
idea that we want maximum torque between 4000 and
6000 RPM since our engines dont have the flow
necessary to run high RPMs.  It has aggressive
ramps that require the stock lifter (not the GT-40 ones).

We took the motor it to an engine dyno in
Wisconsin to tune the carbs, find the optimal cam
advance (dyno software predicted 0 to 2 degrees
advance would be best), and find the optimal
ignition settings.  I spent every waking moment
getting the motor in the car and getting the car
ready for Motrah.  I ended up with two weeknights to spare.  Yikes.

With that cam and everything tuned like is should
be, I have never had that much power.  I was able
to spin the tires in first by just flooring the gas.  Cool.

We were paddocked with Joe Alexander, Keith
Files, and the Murphys.  Tim and Ryan are a new
father / son racing team.  They had an excellent
weekend in there beautiful TR-4.  Ryan (son) was
driving this weekend and did and excellent
job.  Its neat to see their enthusiasm for the
sport.  As the son part of a father / son team,
Ive gotta say  that is absolutely the most fun
you can possibly have.  I really encourage others
to try to get their sons involved in this wonderful sport.

Part 1 of 3

Tony Drews