fot

[Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 3 of 3

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] MOTRAH 007, part 3 of 3
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 23:34:13 -0500
   In  the  normal  group race, I was classified in group 3 CP (bumped up
   from  3 DP) due to my rear disk brakes (nevermind that Im paying a 150
   lb penalty for the massive rear axle attached to them).  They put 3 CP
   in  with  the sports racer group.  I started that race at the back due
   to  a  timing / scoring problem.  Turns out that a couple of fast 356s
   were  in  that  group too.  I had a good start with my new-found power
   and  passed a few cars on the first lap, including Rick Gurolnick (Dr.
   Dreadful)  in  his  VERY nice 356.  Rick re-passed me on at the end of
   the  straight  the  next lap.  I spent most of the race drafting him a
   foot  off his rear end, popping out a the end, pulling out every trick
   I  knew.   On  the  next  to  the  last  lap,  he  ran wide in turn 5.
   Glorious!   I  went  through turns 5 and 6 side by side with Rick, and
   edged  him out by turn 7.  With a great run through the kink, I gapped
   him  enough  to stay ahead through the front and back straights on the
   last  lap.   I  early apexed the kink slightly on the last lap, and he
   was  highly  motivated.  He pulled back up to my rear, but didnt quite
   have  enough  to  pass  me  before  the end of the race.  What a race!
   Thats the one Ive got in-car footage of at
   http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7361466699989864483 .

   John  Sprinzel  wandered  by  early  in the weekend and was telling me
   stories  of running for the factory Triumph team.  Kas Kastner stopped
   by  after  every  session and told me my lap times with a smile on his
   face.  How cool is that?

   If  we  can  end up with some sort of similar deal with Triumph as the
   featured  marque (maybe a Triumph / Healey challenge?) at Watkins Glen
   in 2008, that would be AWESOME!  It seems like a trial balloon message
   or  two  has  come  out on that I would wholeheartedly support such an
   event.
   Part 3 of 3

   Tony Drews