fot

Re: [Fot] front springs

To: vinttr4@geneseo.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] front springs
From: "S. Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 15:38:59 -0400
Cc: fot@autox.team.net
Sender: fot-bounces+fot-archive=autox.team.net@autox.team.net
Uncle Jack asked:

>I want to try some stiffer front springs in my TR4.
>Does anybody know of a source or application?

Eibach make a zillion different springs.  You will need to know sping
diameter, spring rate, free length, and length at free compression.  The
difference between the free length and the point at which the coils bind had
to be at least as long as your travel. Luckily, Eibach's race spring catalog
lists critical information like free height and compressed height on all its
race springs.

You can determine spring rate from the following:

Spring rate = (shear modulus)*(wire diameter)**4
                   8*(spring diameter)*(number of ACTIVE coils)

Note that the **4 means raised to the 4th power.

The easier method is to ask other TR4a drivers about what they are running,
but I figure that you like to do your own research.

Cheers,

Shane Ingate, building a mountain of trash in Maryland