fot

[Fot] Recently Nominated to Join FOT

To: Friends of Triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Recently Nominated to Join FOT
From: A Daniel Cronin <adcronin@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 16:00:08 -0700 (PDT)
8/20
  List Members
  Back in early August Bill Sohl was kind enough to nominate me for membership
in the FOT and it was in turn seconded by Doug Mitchell---thank you Doug!
  Bill suggested that perhaps I could write a short "bio" on my background with
Triumphs, so here goes.

     My initial exposure to TR's began in summer of '64 while a student at
Michigan State University.  A good friend (DD) had a white 55 TR2 ,(he was the
fourth owner of the car which had had the motor and rear axle upgraded to TR3A
components by a prior purchaser).  When he broke his ankle on a skate board and
couldn't get the cast to work the clutch and brake peddles he sold TS6927L to
me (5th owner) for $400.  I drove the car daily till Uncle Sam called the
summer of '66 and per our original deal, I offered it back to DD (6th owner)
for the same $$ as I had purchased it for.
      I spent 3-1/2 years in the service of Uncle Sam, got married, etc and
yearned to have a TR once more.  DD still had the car, but had filled in the
wing seams, redone the red leather interior in black vinyl and painted the car
BRG.  He drove it for a while then when something went wrong and had no time
parked it in an outbuilding where it sat for many years.  He agreed to sell it
to me once again for the original $400 deal--this in 1976.  Thus began my
re-association with things Triumph.  I joined the Vintage Triumph Register
(#824), The Detroit Triumph Sports car Club, the Triumph Register (England) and
the TRA.  Became active in the early years of TVT as Special Projects Manager,
Book Service Guy & Production Manager of TVT and eventually Vice President
under Steve Rossi.
      From 1985 to 2005 was mostly inactive in the various clubs due to work
and family but did manage to keep collecting various NOS and reproduction parts
to eventually rebuild the "2".  Have owned several other TR's, TS5616L,
TS78310L, TCF1325L and TCF2386L over the years, but always had the restoration
of that first TR2 in the back of my mind.
      I struggled with what sort of "restoration" to undertake---Original build
show car, or updated daily driver---eventually settling in 2005
with---Spirited, Updated Daily Driver---which I am now in the midst of
implementing.  The list of items the car will exhibit is extensive and will
make no economic sense to anyone including yours truly, but then that is not
what drives us to extremes is it?
     The car will sit on a new RATCO Frame, especially modified by Tony
Vigliotti to accept complete TR6 front suspension components which will be
augmented with Uncle Jacks uprated stub axle kit, Toyota 4-pot calipers on EBS
disks and SS braided flex lines to the new Revington TR split (front/rear)
brake system components and Revington TR's rear disk brake kit (utilizing Rover
800 components) with remote Servo assist to help reduce peddle pressure
inherent with four wheel disk brakes.  I plan to install a front/rear pressure
control to fine tune the front/rear bias.
      My plan at present is to retain stock TR6 front springs with Spax
adjustable shocks and 3/4" front sway bar, new Utherane suspension bushings
throughout.  Rear suspension will also be stock springs dampened by Apple
Hydraulics 15% uprated rebuilt lever shocks, SS front spring retainer bolt and
Uth. bushing with upgraded rear shackle mounting.  Diff has been rebuilt with
4:11 to 1 ring and pinion gearing mounted to a Quaife (gear type) Positrack
unit enclosed by finned alloy diff. cover.
     Cooling supplied via full core aluminum radiator, alloy water pump housing
with 6-blade impeller and alloy thin belt pulleys (including damper and
alternator (negative ground conversion) pulleys, 12" electric fan with manual
override and an oil cooler w/thermostat after spin on oil filter unit, and
alloy sump with clearanced oil pump.
     Steering will be via a Revington TR Rack and Pinion conversion kit and a
Mona-Lita 15" dished leather wheel, turn signals actuated via MG stalk mounted
unit.  Wheels are Panasport 5.5 x 15 and will probably go with 185 x 70 series
tires to stay close to original tire diameter.  Revington TR alloy front hubs
and adjustable upper A arm gudgeon pins for added adjust-ability in suspension
geometry.
     Motor will be TCF block with British Frame and Engine 89mm piston, tapered
pins and liner kit, Cower steel billet crank (thanks Mordy) augmented by
Carrillo standard length A beam rods.  Cam will be around 280 degree duration
and .410 +/- lift, new push rods to alloy roller rockers supported by alloy
rocker supports with new shaft and comp. springs, alloy retainers, SS valves
with .50 lager intake, gas flowed head and TR4A intake manifold, exhaust is TSI
ceramic coated header to standard TR2 pipes.  All rotating parts static and
dynamically balanced to include Fidanza alloy flywheel, TR6 type McLoude
diaphragm clutch pp and disk.  HVDA TR to Toyota 5-speed transmission
conversion (trans rebuilt by ManTran) with McLeod TOB.
     Additional engine upgrades will include Craine 3000 electronic ignition
and matching coil, be built re-curved distributor by John Smarna, negative
ground conversion, MagnaCor 10mm ignition wires, Bosh plugs.  Alloy front
engine plate and valve cover.  Electric fuel pump / filters, alloy gas tank.
     A complete Dan Masters wire harness with additional relays will be
installed along with 100 w Pl700 headlights, interior courtesy lites, under
hood and trunk lights, XM and Nav systems, Mazda Miata seats and individual
roll bars behind each seat with three point belts.  Car will be topped off with
factory steel hardtop.  Interior will be put back to original red leather /
vinyl (including Miata seats!) and carpet and the exterior body and top back to
white, but probably from current generation Toyota Tundra pickup which is a bit
"warmer and deeper" than the old Pearl White.
     That about does it, but I know I have neglected some items as this
continues to be a "work in progress".  If any of you have thoughts, suggestions
or constructive criticism I am interested in hearing them.  I am hoping to be
done by VTR in Detroit for 2008, but??????????
     Am also restoring a 1940 Indian four cylinder motorcycle and enjoy fly
fishing in my spare time (now that I have retired and have some!).
     Thanks for your patients in reading his rather rambling tale and
overlooking my mis-spellings too!

  Regards, Dan Cronin

Planning & Development Services
A. Daniel Cronin