fot

Re: [Fot] Early (shorter) rear axles in square-tail Spit?

To: "Barr, Scott" <sbarr@McCarty-Law.com>, <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Early (shorter) rear axles in square-tail Spit?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 07:32:51 -0700
The spring really has nothing to do with the axle length.  The springs are
the same length through the entire series of Spits.  The axle length only
has to do with the amount of negative camber is created.  You should replace
the spring only if you want to do away with a lot of body roll (which is the
effect created by the swing-spring rocker box).

The early MkIV's had the swing spring and shorter axles and Apparently
Triumph felt that was not doing what they intended when they introduced the
swing-spring.  Then they went to the longer axles.

I have long suspected that if they had stayed with a fixed spring and just
increased axle length, they would have fixed the wheel tuck problem by
increasing spring rate.  The exagerated negative camber goes a long way
toward preventing the dreaded wheel tuck in a hard turn.

You might find that the best performance will be from a fixed spring (with
the necessary tuning of front and rear suspension) and the long axles.

I have a camber compensator kit that I developed for fixed spring, long axle
cars just in case it is needed.

Joe C.