fot

[Fot] No oil pressure

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] No oil pressure
From: "James Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:57:21 -0600
During my pre-ignition check of a fresh TR4 motor I discovered I have NO
oil pressure. When I spun up the pump through the distributor
pedestal it geysered through the pedestal but little else. During
assembly I greased the new pump to assist with the prime.
I pulled the oil pressure line and checked for obstructions. None found
I have a rocker feed line I can only get a drop or two of oil at number
4 exhaust rocker.
I tried rotating the cam to a half dozen different orientations and
still can't get oil to the rockers.
Checked for the gasket between the block and pump, it's there.
Checked the copper washer at the banjo fitting at the filter head. I had
a smaller ID washer to begin with, swapped it out
with a larger ID and no change.
Adjusted the oil pressure relief valve all the way in and back out,
seems to be in order, ball looks seated but I will check again.
I checked the gauge with air, works fine.
Disconnected the oil pressure line up top, barely a dribble of oil.
Pulled one of the large oil gallery plugs below the distributor, oil
flows out but can't tell at what pressure.
The oil pump drive shaft bushing notch is aligned front to rear but
seems to be off by a degree or two ?
Checked the filter head for obstructions, found none.
I installed the oil filter and the oil cooler dry, when taken apart they
were both full.
Pump pickup/screen has proper orientation.
Everything seems to be in order, I'm completely baffled.
Has anyone else had this problem ?
Thanx,
Jim G.
# 102