fot

[Fot] Engine Autopsy TR4 #197 short version

To: fot@autox.team.net, seanax@iowalaser.com
Subject: [Fot] Engine Autopsy TR4 #197 short version
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 18:38:41 EDT
FOT

The short version is that it appears that the valves siezed in #2
cylinder....the bronze guides may not have been clearanced enough. Jack checked
them at
.002 & .0025 ID.

We are going back to OEM style guides. Too many horror stories and no real
benefit in bronze, methinks.

The outcomes were bent push rods, bent valves, destroyed piston and liner &
bent (but not broken) con rod.  Block is junk, but crank appears to be intact
with only a nice polish of journals needed.

I remain very pleased with the idea of the Chevy Rods residing in this engine
and plan to stay the course. Perhaps some Wiseco Pistons are in my future, as
they require no pin end spacers to centralize the rod.

I was hoping that the camshaft had been destroyed, as it would have caused me
to replace it with the new cam design that now available from Larry Young.
After observing The Drews Brothers, there is something of substance going on
there for those who like to run fast in the mid-range of RPM.

(Hats off to Larry Young...with Jack participating in the process)

Joe (A)
   </HTML>