fot

Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008 -

To: sgroh1@comcast.net, billb@bnj.com, kaskas@cox.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] KASTNER CUP CHALLENGE - WATKINS GLEN 2008 -
From: Group44TR7@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:58:49 EDT
Amici

    I do not believe that a year has gone by whilst I have been an FOT
participant ( 199?) that the subject of requirements of various sanctioning
bodies
has not been a topic of FOT discussion. Especially the requirements to meet
specific preparation requirements, which for many Triumphs is the 1972 SCCA GRC.

    Frankly I do not know where and when it was first decided to use the 1972
SCCA GRC, but I do know that it was already in use when I started vintage
racing in about 1990. It has always struck me as particularly ironic that the
body work modification (wheel flares) that were allowed in 1972 were not
allowed
in vintage racing and that relatively little was actually being done at many
events to enforce adherence to preparation of 1972 GRC engine specifications
other than obvious visible modifications like the carbs.

    One of the benefits of owning a Group 44 racecar, as I am sure it is with
Kas's old racecars as well, is to see the innovation that was done within the
rules to make the cars more competitive. One of the frustration is that
keeping the car as it was originally raced means that you are at a competitive
disadvantage to other historic as well as newly constucted vintage racecars
that
are using the latest technology. As a driver/owner, you simply have to accept
that you never going to be the fastest car on the track as they were in their
day.

    The second point that I would like to make is that alot of time has
passed since I first did vintage racing. I am glad that SVAR has opened the
door
for participation by post 1972 cars that have have a racing history. If I can
change what is a major conflict in my business schedule with the Watkins Glen
event and some other logisitcal challenges, you all just might get to see the
Group 44 TR7 - Aussy Playboy TR7 in action at the Glen for the first time since
1975.

    If its slower than you expected - well some of you know Bob Tullius, and
I am not anywhere close to Bob Tullius. It truly a great priviledge to even
drive the same car as the him.

Cary