fot

Re: [Fot] motor oil query

To: <igofaster@charter.net>,fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] motor oil query
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:26:56 -0500
This has come up a few times.  There was a relatively recent drop in
ZDDP levels in motor oil across the spectrum caused by an EPA
ruling.  (ZDDP being burned causes decreased cat converter
life.)  This additive is critical to valvetrain life (specifically
tappets and camshafts) in flat tappet engines.

There are a few motor oils that have acceptable levels on ZDDP -
(Kendall is no longer one of them):
Brad Penn
Joe Gibbs Racing oil
Redline
Valvoline Racing oil ("not for street use") - I think this is the
least expensive of the bunch, and I special ordered it from
NAPA.  There are two versions - nonsynthetic (I'd use for break in),
and Synthetic (what I normally use)

There are also a couple of oil additives that boost your ZDDP levels:
STP Oil treatment in the Red bottle (use an entire bottle in an oil
change) - I don't use this one
GM's EOS (Engine Oil Supplement?) - this is really intended to be an
assembly lubricant.  I add a half a bottle in an 8 to 10 quart oil
change.  I also use it liberally on the cam and lifters during engine assembly.

By the way, I run the break-in oil for one race weekend and then
switch to the synthetic.

- Tony Drews