fot

[Fot] Race Report VSCDA @ Mid-Ohio 1 of 2

To: <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Fot] Race Report VSCDA @ Mid-Ohio 1 of 2
From: "Henry Frye" <henry@henryfrye.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 17:24:35 -0400
Another fantastic race weekend with VSCDA at Mid-Ohio. Weather was
downright pleasant in the afternoons, but I will concede it was a little
chilly early mornings. The Triumph gang was well represented, and I
believe we put on a great show.

Track conditions were slick on the first Friday morning sessions,
because of a couple days rain prior to our event. I have never drove a
track that looked dry that was so wet and slick. By the second morning
session things were much better, and the rest of the weekend we had good
grip despite coolish temps, but those engines were taking full advantage
of that dense, dry air. We were making power!

The Beady Eye gang made it look easy, they hung out calmly waiting for
our turn to make noise. When that time came they ran well, and I don't
know if either Bob Wismer or Bill Dentinger touched a tool other than a
tire pressure gauge and the torque wench for the wheel lugs all weekend.

Next door was a different story, Mark Wheatley and I seemed to be busy
all weekend, first chasing an elusive flat spot on Mark's fresh engine,
then trying to track down the source of a driveline vibration on my car.
All great fun.

Jeff Snook was the Triumph to beat, and nobody had anything for him once
he hooked up with Vic Skirmants in his 356. I was hoping Vic would get
Jeff to wear out his Hoosiers to the point I would get him, but my
vibration woes ended that idea. Kudos to Jeff for beating Vic in the
Qualifying race, Vic gave him a real run for his money. In the feature
Vic got by Jeff early on, and Jeff's tires gave out on cue, so a repeat
performance didn't happen. But any day a Triumph beats up on National
Champ Skirmants is a very big deal! Way to go Jeff!

Dennis DeLap was running his TR4, with his ever-present pit bunny/wife
Joanie at his side. Dennis ran real well, flirted real close to that
sub-two minute lap, you will get it next time, my friend.

Over in Group 8, Dale Oesterle was the lone Triumph running with all the
MGB's, not really sure how VSCDA gets that to work when all the TR3's
and 4's run with the MGA's. But anyway, Dale is STILL looking for a FC
Spitty block to rebuild his primary race engine. Come on folks, we know
you Spit pilots are hoarding these 'getting scarcer by the day' cores.
But this is an active racer in a really quick car that needs our help!

Continued on Page 2