fot

Re: [Fot] Increasing OD pressure

To: "Allen Washatko" <awashatko@wi.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Fot] Increasing OD pressure
From: "Chuck Arnold" <triosan@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 08:42:11 -0700
Thanks Allen.  I have now done quite a bit of research, but you have brought
up a few new wrinkles. I do deal with John already.
What bearings need "uprating"?  I thought them to already be quite stout.
The major issues seem to be with the clutch cone [get it redone with a
surface that grips better] and  pressure [increase it so shifts happen
quicker and engagement remains at speed].  for pressure, there have been
three responses:
Remember, this is for a J-type, not an A-type]:
1. To hold pressure when not engaged [like coming off the line in a standing
start], shorten the 4 inner springs of the operating pistons so it takes
more pressure to release to overdrive.
2. For pressure:
       a: increase the spring rate of the pressure relief valve bu adding a
washer or two under the spring
       b: drill out the "oil passage".  Not sure which passage but assume it
is the one from the solenoid to the dash pot -- would like a comment on this
from anyone who knows
       c.  Get the clutches on the cone relined

Does anyone have anymore suggestions?

--
Chuck Arnold