fot

[Fot] TR4 front suspension

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: [Fot] TR4 front suspension
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 03:57:02 GMT
I am looking to change my front suspension over to coil overs and tubular
A-arms.  Considering still using the TR4 uprights ( to make hubs and brakes
easier to fit, since they will just swap over), but replacing the trunion with
a rod end to be more like a ball joint.  Has anyone on the list successfuly
done a conversion like this?
Any idea what the thread on the bottom of the upright actually is supposed to
be?  The one that I measures looks like a 13/16 - 10 American Standard special
thread, but not sure if it was a Whitworth or Acme thread originally and just
got worn to look like it does now?  I also have a TR6 part, but it has a 9
thread per inch thread that looks like an Acme thread, but does not match up
to any Acme thread in my machinists handbook.  The TR6 thread is 0.905 inch
diameter, which is not quite 15/16 (0.9375").  My handbook does list a 15/16 -
9 American standard thread, but the threads are so flat that they look more
like an Acme.  Perhaps they are worn flat?  Joe(B)