fot

Re: [Fot] Cryo treatment

To: toodamnfunky@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Fot] Cryo treatment
From: "Joe Boruch" <jaboruch@netzero.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 02:27:08 GMT
I have found that cryo treated brake rotors are much less prone to cracking
than non treated ones, but that is about the best experience that I have
found.  It should help billet cranks, but should not do much for cast cranks.
I have spoken to metalurgists about cryo treatment and for things like steel
crankshafts and   rods the treatment basically makes up for a bad heat
treatment job.  If a part was properly heat treated there should be no reason
to cryo treat it.  Cryo treatment coverts retained austinite (which is
undesirable) to martinsite (desirable).  This is because the austinite was not
coverted during heat treatment.  Cryo treatment is not enough on its own,
since the part may be left too brittle.  Parts should be tempered after Cryo
treatment.
There does not appear to be any good reason why cryo works for brake rotors,
but it does.  Also, not sure why it would do anything for bearing shells,
blocks or pistons.  I have heard from the cryo treaters that for pistons and
blocks the treatment serves to stress relieve the part.  I am not quite
convinced that it is worth doing blocks, pistons, bearings, rings, etc.  How
many engine failures are there that stress relieving would have stopped?  If I
have a block failure it is because a rod went through it because of a head
gasket leak or valve failure.  Any piston failures have been because of an
errant valve or detonation, not just a breakdown of the piston.
That's my 2 cents on the topic.  Joe(B)

-- "James Gray" <toodamnfunky@comcast.net> wrote:
Has anyone had any experience with cryo treating. I read enough good
stuff about I had it done to all my bearings
rods, crank, flywheel, cam & chain tensioner. Crank & rods were shot
peened & mag'd too.
It was cheap anough and local so I just went for it. Any feedback or
prior experience ?
Jim G
Fot mailing list
Fot@autox.team.net